Saturday, March 28, 2015

Another Piece of Furniture Saved-New and Improved shoe cabinet




Here is my New and Improved shoe cabinet. 

I found this cabinet at one of my favorite shops in Indianapolis for $10.99. It was in great shape and at an even better price. However, it needed an upgrade of some color, a drawer liner and new drawer pulls. 

I started with the drawer liner. I found this awesome contact paper that always looks good and sticks well to wood. 

I removed the drawer pulls and added a new set. I added the same contact paper to the inserts of the drawer pulls to make them pop. 


Now on to the colors. I mixed several shades to come up with the marble look on both the drawers and the cabinet door. It took just over 3 hours to complete. I decided against painting the inside of the cabinet but instead gave it a tung oil finish. I wanted to leave the inside unfinished for a bit of simplicity.


For today, my work is done. The tung oil finish is drying and all thats left is to sand with steel wool and apply one last coat. I think this turned out to be such a beautiful piece that will look fabulous in any home.


That's all for today... Remember, if you have any questions about colors and the finish on this piece please contact me at theleakycauldron@gmail.com

Thank you for checking out my blog and Happy Crafting!!

You can see this item in person at 

The Room Swap
Plainfield, Indiana



2 comments: